The Healing Power of Forgiveness: How to Truly Let Go

πŸ’“πŸ’“ 

We often hear the advice: “Just forgive and move on.” But in reality, forgiveness is one of the hardest things to practice. When someone has hurt us deeply, our mind clings to the pain, replaying the event over and over again. This negative loop not only steals our peace but also impacts our physical and mental health.

Research shows that holding onto resentment is linked with increased stress, anxiety, insomnia, and even cardiovascular issues. On the other hand, studies in psychology highlight that forgiveness reduces stress hormones, improves sleep, and enhances overall well-being. In Ayurveda too, unresolved emotions are seen as root causes for many psychosomatic disorders.

So, how do we break free from the cycle of overthinking and truly forgive? Here are three powerful practices you can start today:


1. Journaling Your Pain

Take a notebook/Paper and write down the details of the painful situation or about the person who hurt you. Express every thought and emotion on paper. After reading it back, you may realize that some situations that once felt unbearable now appear smaller, even trivial.

Once you release these emotions, write affirmations such as:
“I am forgiving this person/situation for my highest good. I choose peace over pain.”

This process helps shift the mind from resentment to healing.

2. Practicing Ho’oponopono – The Hawaiian Healing Technique

If journaling feels incomplete and forgiveness still feels impossible, try this powerful mantra-based practice. Close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, and visualize the person or situation in front of you. Then gently repeat these four phrases like a mantra:

  • I am sorry

  • Please forgive me

  • Thank you

  • I love you

These sentences may seem simple, but they work on the subconscious mind, gradually dissolving the negative emotional charge associated with the memory.

3. Elaborating the Mantra with Intention

As you grow more comfortable, go deeper into the mantra. For example:

  • I am sorry & Please forgive me:
    “If knowingly or unknowingly I have hurt you, I am truly sorry. Please forgive me.”

  • Thank you:
    “Thank you for being part of my life. Even though you caused me pain, you taught me lessons for my highest growth.”

  • I love you:
    “I choose to love unconditionally, beyond the pain and resentment.”

Repeating this consciously rewires the brain and heart, releasing the emotional burden. Neuroscience research suggests that repeated affirmations and visualization can help create new neural pathways, making forgiveness and peace more natural over time.


Final Thoughts

Forgiveness does not mean excusing the wrong done to you. It means choosing freedom over bondage, peace over pain. When you forgive, you stop allowing the past to rule your present. With consistent practice—through journaling, affirmations, and Ho’oponopono—you can train your mind to release, heal, and live fully in the present moment.


Forgiveness is not for them—it’s for you. The more you practice it, the more you set yourself free.

  With LoveπŸ’“

  Dr.Keerthana Madhusoodanan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To All Women Who Are Rediscovering Themselves

From Struggles to Smiles: An Ayurvedic Success in Infertility

The Power of Faith and Resilience